Saturday, 9 October 2010

Thandiswa


Tony Allen celebrated his 70th Birthday last week. To mark the occasion he performed at the multi-faceted Barbican on Wednesday 6th of October. Other musicians on stage included: pink suited Finnish jazzman Jimi Tenor, former Soul II Soul dancer Wunmi Olaiya, former James Brown sideman Pee Wee Ellis, British jazzman Byron Wallen (who is the trumpeter heard in this audio) , Fela's son - Sean Kuti and Johannesburg vocalist Thandiswa.

I just read the Telegraph review and am naturally inclined to start writing a report-style review.. must.. not.. use.. cliche.. review.. words..

So, maybe 6 years ago I went to a Toots and Maytals and Lee Scratch Perry gig and it blew me away how much it was like a religious experience -- some all encompassing wave of love and joy washed over the entire venue and music united everything to become one. I know, re-reading that makes me want to delete it and make it less.. umm... spiritual. But, that is how it was seeing Toots live... And, watching this gig, and most notably for me, Thandiswa, gave me the same feeling.

I advice you put your headphones on and listen to this.

I haven't done anything to it but turn it from a wav to an mp3.

Thandiswa by clairurbahn

1 comment:

  1. Hi,

    Just come across your blog; hopefully gonna get a chance to listen to some of the audio over the weekend, but just want to say that that I totally share your feelings on that Thandiswa performance, (though did think the rest of the concert was very very mediocre!). Nice one for posting etc. Let me know if you ever find the name of this track and if a studio version has been made?

    THS x

    ReplyDelete